Hackergal Scholarship Application
The scholarship application form takes approximately 1-hour to complete. We recommend you register for an account and save your progress as you complete each section. When you have finished your application, click submit.
Register for an account.
Begin completing the form. You can submit your application when completed or if you want you can save your progress and come back another time to continue and submit the form when completed.
Log in to retrieve your progress saved form.
The Hackergal Scholarship Program seeks to empower students who identify as cis women or as transgender, intersex or gender diverse to realize their potential to be leaders in STEAM. Hackergal Scholars exemplify passion and commitment to diversity and inclusion in the tech industry and take action as catalysts for positive change within their communities. They promote awareness, lead by example, and create opportunities for those following in their footsteps.
Two $5,000 CAD scholarships will be awarded for the 2022/2023 school year.
Hackergal reserves the right to not award a scholarship or scholarships in any given year should the candidates in that applicant pool not meet the required criteria for the scholarship program.
This Scholarship aims to:
- Provide support for students who identify as cis women or transgender, intersex or gender diverse as they pursue the next stage of their post-secondary education and/or career pathways in the tech industry.
- Recognize candidates for their future potential to inspire positive change and innovation in the STEAM fields. A special emphasis is placed on those seeking to contribute to the inclusion of historically underrepresented demographics.
- Foster opportunities for traditionally underrepresented communities in technology, including intersectional identities related to ethnicity, gender, disability and sexual orientation.
- Strengthen Hackergal’s community of Canadian students who identify as cis women or as transgender, intersex or gender diverse to build a diverse and inclusive pipeline in STEAM.
The applicant must:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- Self-identify as cis women or as transgender, intersex or gender diverse.
- Be a part-time or full-time student in secondary school in Canada intending to action on this scholarship in the fall of the academic year following high school graduation or completion of Quebec CEGEPs.
- Wish to pursue a future career in the STEAM fields. STEAM includes the following five (5) disciplines: Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics.
- Have been or is currently a participant of Hackergal’s National Ambassador Program (minimum one (1) cohort year).
EVALUATION CRITERIA/GENERAL GUIDELINES
- Qualifying applicants must comply fully with the requirements set out above.
- Applications must be submitted via an online application form by Friday, November 4, 2022 at 11:59 pm EST.
- The awarding of the scholarships will seek to reflect the diversity of Canada and include the optional submission of demographic information (e.g., gender identity, ethnic identity, sexual orientation and disability status).
- The Selection Committee will evaluate the applications on the merit of their content only. The Selection Committee will consist of internal and external members of the Hackergal community. The applications will be evaluated based on adherence to the requirements, the quality and content of the responses as they relate to the scholarship objectives and the references―all of which will be given equal weight. The applicant’s identity will be completely masked on all documents reviewed by the Selection Committee.
- The Scholarship funds are intended to cover expenses connected with education, skills training and research in the STEAM fields. This includes, but is not limited to, tuition costs, residence fees, books, laptops and school supplies.