HACKERGAL HUB PRIVACY STATEMENT
Last revised: October 5, 2020
Welcome, and thank you for your interest in the Hackergal Hub found at https://hub.hackergal.org/ (the “Hub”). This Hackergal Hub Privacy Statement (“Privacy Statement”) describes how Hackergal Inc. (as follows, “we”, “our” or “us”) may collect, use and disclose information about you through your use of the Hub or as a result of that use. In this Privacy Statement, when references are made to “you” or “your”, it means you on your own behalf, and on behalf of any person or organization on whose behalf you may act (collectively referred to herein as “you”).
From time to time, we may make changes to this Privacy Statement. The Privacy Statement is current as of the “last revised” date which appears at the top of this page. We will treat Personal Information (as defined herein) in a manner consistent with the Privacy Statement under which it was collected, unless we have your consent to treat it differently. This Privacy Statement applies to any information we collect or receive about you, from any source.
BEFORE ACCESSING OR USING OUR HUB OR PROVIDING INFORMATION TO US, PLEASE CAREFULLY REVIEW THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT. BY USING OUR HUB, INCLUDING REGISTERING FOR AN ACCOUNT OR ACCESSING OUR HUB, YOU AGREE THAT WE MAY COLLECT, USE AND DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT, AS REVISED FROM TIME TO TIME. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT AND CONSENT TO BE BOUND BY THESE TERMS, THEN YOU MUST NOT ACCESS OR USE THE HUB.
- Personal Information We Collect. We may collect several types of information about you, including certain information that personally identifies you or could be used to personally identify you (“Personal Information”). Personal Information includes, without limitation, your name and your child’s name, contact information, e-mail address, mailing address, date of birth, organization name and any information provided by you about your use (including your child’s use) of our Hub. Personal Information also does not include information that has been anonymized or aggregated in such a way that there is no serious possibility it can be used to identify you or any other individual, whether on its own or in combination with other information.
- How We Collect Your Information.
We may collect standard internet log information about how and when you use our Hub. This information may include, without limitation, your IP address and location data, weblogs, time, date, browser used, referring web addresses, other communication data, searches conducted and pages visited.
For individuals located in Canada who otherwise interact with us regarding the Hub, whether in person, by phone or email, through social media or otherwise, including individuals who might be interested in acquiring our products or services, who sign-up to receive newsletters or other communications, or who respond to surveys and questionnaires, we may collect information that you provide to us during these interactions. This information may include your name, e-mail address and other contact information.
- Where We Store Your Information and International Transfer. Your Personal Information may be stored and processed at the Hackergal offices in Canada, at the offices of our third party service providers in Canada and the United States or at data centers managed by us or our third party service providers in Canada and the United States, as applicable. Other jurisdictions may have different data protection rules than Canada. While your Personal Information is outside of Canada, it is subject to the laws of the country in which it is located. Those laws may require disclosure of your Personal Information to authorities in that country. For written information about our policies and practices regarding service providers outside of Canada, please contact us using the contact information in the “Contact Us” section below.
- How We Use the Information We Collect. We may use the Personal Information that we collect about you for such purposes as (the “Purposes”):
- to facilitate the delivery of current and future Hackergal products and services including, without limitation, registering for the Hub;
- to provide you with the information or services that you may request;
- to obtain the necessary permissions for each student to participate in Hackergal events and use Hackergal products and services including, without limitation, the Hub;
- to communicate with you about the Hub or your use of the Hub including, without limitation, to advise you about new events, products and services that may be of interest to you;
- to respond to your inquiries, concerns, complaints or requests regarding Hackergal;
- to use Google Analytics or other similar analytics service providers to better understand our web traffic and marketing effectiveness;
- to collect feedback, opinions and comments in regard to Hackergal’s products, services and operations;
- to allow our third party service providers to assist in providing you with the requested services;
- to conduct research and analysis for internal business purposes including, without limitation, product development, distribution and planning purposes;
- to administer our Hub and manage your account on the Hub;
- such purposes for which Hackergal may obtain consent from time to time;
- such other uses as may be permitted or required by applicable law; and
- if you have provided an express consent, or if we have an implied consent or an exemption under Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation, and if you have not opted-out of receiving such communications, to send you automated emails, text messages, or other communications containing promotional messaging. You can opt-out of receiving promotional messages by following the instructions contained in the communication, or by changing your Profile Information within your Account.
- To Whom Do We Provide Your Information.
We identify to whom, and for what purposes, we disclose your Personal Information, at the time we collect such information from you and obtain your consent to such disclosure.
We rely on third party services providers to perform a variety of services on our behalf, such as, telephone and technical support providers, hosting, data storage and processing service providers, and research and analytics providers.
If we provide your information to service providers, then we require that the service providers keep your Personal Information secure, and only handle it for limited purposes for which it is provided. We do not authorize the service providers to disclose your Personal Information to unauthorized parties or to use your Personal Information for their direct marketing purposes. If you would like more information about our service providers, please contact us using the contact information in the “Contact Us” section below.
Additionally, we may use and disclose your information when we believe such use or disclosure is permitted, necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce the terms of the agreements for our products and services; (e) to protect our rights, operations or property; (f) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain; and (g) on an aggregated, statistical or anonymous basis that does not identify you. In addition, we may transfer your Personal Information and other information to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, brands, affiliates, subsidiaries or other assets.
If we otherwise intend to disclose your Personal Information to a third party, we will identify that third party and the purpose for the disclosure, and obtain your consent.
- Obtaining Your Consent to Collection, Use and Disclosure.
We collect, use and disclosure your Personal Information with your consent or as permitted or required by Canadian privacy laws. We obtain your consent (or require the organization, hosting a Hackergal event and/or providing you with access to and use of Hackergal products and services, to obtain your consent) prior to collecting, and in any case, prior to using or disclosing your Personal Information for any purpose. You may provide your consent to us directly (either orally, electronically or in writing) or through your organization. The form of consent that we seek, including whether it is express or implied, will largely depend on the sensitivity of the Personal Information and the reasonable expectations you might have in the circumstances.
If you choose to provide Personal Information to us, we assume that you consent to the collection, use and disclosure of that Personal Information as outlined in this Privacy Statement.
If you wish to withdraw your consent to our collection, use or disclosure of your Personal Information, please contact us using the contact information in the “Contact Us” section below. However, before we implement the withdrawal of consent, we may require proof of your identity. In some cases, withdrawal of your consent may mean that we will no longer be able to provide certain products or services.
If you provide Personal Information about another individual to us, it is your responsibility to obtain the consent of that individual to enable us to collect, use and disclose his or her information as described in this Privacy Statement. If you provide your child’s Personal Information to us on behalf of your child, you consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your child’s Personal Information as described in this Privacy Statement.
- Third Party Websites and Services. This Privacy Statement does not extend to any websites or products or services provided by third parties. We do not assume responsibility for the privacy practices of such third parties, and we encourage you to review all third party privacy policies prior to using third party websites or products or services.
- How We Limit Retention of Your Information. We may keep a record of your Personal Information, correspondence or comments, in a file specific to you. We will utilize, disclose or retain your Personal Information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which that Personal Information was collected and as permitted or required by applicable law.
- Accuracy of Your Information.
We will ensure that your Personal Information is kept as accurate, complete and up-to-date as possible. We will not routinely update your Personal Information, unless such a process is necessary. We rely on you to provide us with accurate Personal Information, and we expect you, from time to time, to update your Personal Information on a self-serve basis within your Hub account or to supply us with written updates to your Personal Information, when required.
At any time, you can challenge the accuracy or completeness of your Personal Information in our records. If you successfully demonstrate that your Personal Information in our records is inaccurate or incomplete, we will amend the Personal Information as required. Where appropriate, we will transmit the amended information to third parties having access to your Personal Information.
- Your Requests.
If you make a written request to review any of your Personal Information that we have collected, utilized or disclosed, we will provide you with any such Personal Information to the extent required by applicable law. We will make such Personal Information available to you in a form that is generally understandable, and will explain any abbreviations or codes.
We will attempt to respond to each of your written requests no later than thirty (30) days after receipt of such requests. We will advise you in writing if we cannot meet your requests within this time limit.
We will not charge any costs for you to access your Personal Information in our records or to access our privacy practices without first providing you with an estimate of the approximate costs, if any.
We may request that you provide sufficient identification to permit access to the existence, use or disclosure of your Personal Information. Any such identifying information shall be used only for this purpose.
- Safeguards We Have Implemented.
We have implemented commercially reasonable physical, organizational, contractual and technological security measures to protect your Personal Information from loss or theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. The only employees of Hackergal/service providers who are granted access to your Personal Information, are those with a business ‘need-to-know’ or whose duties reasonably require such information.
Despite the measure outlined above, no method of information transmission or information storage is 100% secure or error-free, so we unfortunately cannot guarantee absolute security. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any information that you provided to us has been compromised), please contact us immediately using the contact information in the “Contact Us” section below.
- Contact Us. All comments, questions, concerns or complaints regarding your Personal Information, this Privacy Statement or our privacy practices, should be forwarded to our Privacy Officer as follows.
|Mailing address:||Attn: Privacy Officer
10 Dundas Street East, Suite 600
Toronto, ON M5B2G9